BY WALTER KUMIRA
GULU: THURSDAY, JANUARY 06, 2022
Gulu LC5 Chairperson, Christopher Opiyo Ateke, said that the district through the Education Department has given sh450,000 to each of the 49 government aided Primary School and sh600,000 to each government aided Secondary school for slashing their school compound and cleaning classrooms.
Caesar Akena, the Acting district education officer (DEO) of Gulu, stated that they have trained Head teachers and their deputies on School transition, Standard Operating Procedures adherence and handling girls with pregnancies.
Akena noted that, the Ministry of Education and Sports together with the Ministry of Health has today (Thursday) organized one-day training for four teachers from each school on how to welcome back children from homes.
He further added that today’s training of teachers will be their final wrap up of the activities to help them counter any technicalities which may arise after the reopening of the learning institutions on Monday next week.
Bosco Okumu, the head teacher of Rwotobilo Primary School in Gulu district, said they are finalizing their preparations today and everything will be set for reopening of school next week.
Stephen Odong Latek, the Resident District Commissioner of Gulu, confirmed that the records of the district Covid-19 task-force indicate that 90% of teachers and non-teaching staff in the district have fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and the remaining 10% have received single dose of two-dose vaccines.
Latek said the positive response from the teachers and non-teaching staff towards Covid-19 vaccination energizes them to reopen schools without worries.