DONT OVER STRETCH YOUR MOSQUITO NET WHILE HANGING IT

By Goodluck Musinguzi

When using a Long Lasting treated mosquito net at home please make sure it is properly hanged to avoid creating small gaps or holes that help mosquitoes to enter.

The use of long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets (LLINs) is one of the recommended measures to prevent malaria. The present studies are aimed at accessing the acceptability and effective use of LLINs on the prevalence of malaria.

Ministry of Health is distributing square long lasting treated mosquito nets that are easy to fix on the bed using strings on the four corners.

Dr Diana Atwine, Permanent Secretary Ministry of Health says village teams get enough training so that when distributing mosquito nets they first teach every beneficiary on how to use them.

She says malaria disease constitutes over 10 % of Africa’s overall disease burden, accounting for 40 % of public health expenditure, 30–50 % of in-patient hospital admissions and up to 50 % of out-patient visits in endemic areas.

“We are trying to fight malaria disease in our household by distributing 27 million long lasting treated mosquito nets. Proper usage is addressed through the many campaigns done by Ministry of Health”, said Dr Diana.

However most people dont mind when they are fixing their mosquito nets. The nets come with strings and screws to fix on the walls or wood but some people dont use them.

They end up being feasted on mosquitos that cause malaria.

Bed nets are the commonest malaria prevention tool and arguably the most cost-effective. Their efficacy is because they prevent mosquito bites (a function of physical durability and integrity), and kill mosquitoes (a function of chemical content and mosquito susceptibility).

Mosquito nets still achieve substantial epidemiological impact, suggesting that physical integrity, consistent use and population-level coverage are increasingly more important than mosquitocidal properties.

The public health value of nets is increasingly driven by bite prevention, and decreasingly by lethality to mosquitoes.

About Goodluck Musinguzi

Check Also

FIGHTING MALARIA IN UGANDA REDUCES THE RISK TO INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS

By Goodluck Musinguzi International travelers are advised against Malaria disease because of imported infections. Malaria …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.